Thursday 24 March 2016

RIP Rob Ford

Meeting Rob Ford at the height of his international "fame" was without a doubt one of the most interesting and crazy encounters I've ever had. He stood and talked to us (I was always surprised how softspoken and gentle his voice was in person) about hockey and football for a few minutes while a few dozen reporters surrounded us shouting questions, taking pictures, and filming. It was that day that I truly understood that, while he may not have been a good politician or a skilled leader, he was an example of someone who felt he had a responsibility to serve others and was willing to face whatever came his way to continue doing so.
A few months after we had met I sent the photo of us, in which neither of us looks great, to his home in Etobicoke and signed it for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment